Hello everyone and hope you all have very good holidays.

First, this email is not directed on the author or the PR
https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/pull/6794  it self, but i see
this PR as a perfect example.

One of the foundation of Apache Way or what i would simply call open source
community driven development is that "Technical decisions are discussed,
decided, and archived publicly.
developpement"
Which means that big technical  changes such as the one brought by #/6794
should have started as a proposal and round of discussions about the major
changes designs not as 11K line of code.
I believe such openness will promote a lot of good benefits such as:

- ensures community health and growth.
- ensures everyone can participate not only the authors and his co-workers.
- ensures that the project is driven by the community and not a given
company or an individual.
- ensures that there is consensus (not saying 100% agreement;) however it
means that all individuals will accept the current progress on the project
until some better proposal is put forth.

Personally such BIG offline PR makes me feel excluded and doesn't give me a
sense that i belong to  a community at all.

To prevent such off list development i think as a Druid Community we need
to stick to the apache way “If it didn’t happen on the mailing list, it
didn’t happen.”

I would appreciate if some of the Apache mentor help with this.
Thanks