Apologies for the delayed response.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 12:48 PM Slim Bouguerra <slim.bougue...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am wondering here what is the case where code first is better?

I don't think it's wrong to share ideas as early as possible, and after
this discussion I think I am in favor of it too. I just meant that I don't
think it's always necessarily the most productive discussion until code
exists sometimes, with the types of thing I am thinking of are almost
entirely limited to cases where things might sound good to anyone on paper
but in reality need a large amount of experiments conducted and
observations collected to determine that something is actually worth doing,
which I imagine is mainly things like reworking internals for performance
improvements.

In the case of my combined proposal PR, I needed to prove that the thing I
was working on was a good idea... and it wasn't directly. But I came up
with another idea during the course of experiment turned into something
compelling, so an initial proposal would have looked quite a lot different
than what I ended up with. Once I had proven to myself that it was a good
idea, then I was comfortable sharing with the wider community. I'm not
certain how this would play out in an always proposal first model, maybe
the first proposal exists, I personally reject it after updating with
experiment results show it's a bad idea, continue experimenting and raise a
new one after the experiments start looking promising?

> Let's not be naive this is very rare that a contributor will accept that
> his work is to be thrown, usually devs takes coding as personal creation
> and they get attached to it.

I agree, just because a handful of the committers have this attitude, it
isn't fair to expect the wider community to also, that's why I am in favor
of formalizing the process.

Can you please explain what is overbearing ? what can be changed to make it
> easy ?
> Most of the points are kind of the actual questions that you want to
> address before hand anyway isn't ?

Sorry for the confusion, I said it's "not overbearing", I think it's fine.

What are the complaints ?

Is this and other previous threads not a complaint about opening a large PR
without a proposal? :) I just mean that formalizing the process, even if a
proposal has a reference PR opened with it near concurrently, could prevent
these discussions from happening in the future because ground rules have
been set and we are all on the same page I guess.

I think we should also probably consider renaming the "design review" label
to "proposal" or something to make it more clear that a PR is associated
with a proposal. It might also be worth considering using github projects
for particularly large things that involve multiple follow up PRs, but I
haven't used them in much depth to know if they add anything.

It seems like we are all converging on agreement to do a github issue
proposal for larger changes (I would vote for announcing them on the dev
list too for more visibility), so that design review is separated from code
review. I guess my main concern was not wanting to discourage
experimentation by walling it off behind mandatory discussions, but the
more I think about it,  it doesn't technically change much about this
process, it just requires a more formal proposal to accompany any
experiments that are shared as a PR.