Hey Druids,

Now that we're a top level project we're required to report periodically to
the board. I just sent the following report (our first one). I'm posting it
here in case anyone has any feedback, and so anyone interested can read it.
Next time we'll post a draft here before submitting the report.

-----------------

## Description

Apache Druid is a high performance real-time analytics database. It is
designed for workflows where low-latency query and ingest are the main
requirements. It implements ingestion, storage, and querying subsystems.
Users interface with Druid through built-in SQL and JSON APIs, as well
as third-party applications.

Druid has an extensive web of connections with other Apache projects:
Calcite for SQL planning, Curator and ZooKeeper for coordination, Kafka
and Hadoop as data sources, Avro or Parquet as supported data input
formats, and DataSketches for scalable approximate algorithms. Druid
can also be used as a data source by Superset.

## Issues

There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity

This is Druid's first report as a top-level project.

Since graduating, we have added 9 PMC members and 2 committers.

Community activity has been strong since graduation, with a constant flow
of mailing list posts, issues being filed, and pull requests. We make an
effort to respond to a high percentage of user questions to encourage
adoption. Most of these questions come in through GitHub issues, or our
user group mailing list, or the ASF Slack channel #druid (where we recently
passed the 500 member mark).

We are working towards our first post-graduation release, which is expected
to be Druid 0.17.0 and is expected to be released in the coming weeks. The
major initiatives in this release include an improved batch ingestion
interface, substantial new work on our built-in parallel batch ingestion
feature, performance improvements, and LDAP integration.

We believe in-person events are an important part of community development.
In December, there were Druid meetups in Bangalore and Denver. This upcoming
month, there are meetups planned in New Delhi, London, Athens, and Tel Aviv.
Additionally, a Druid Summit event is planned for April 13 - 15 in the San
Francisco Bay Area. It is being organized by a third party (Imply) in
coordination with the Druid PMC. The models we are using for this are
similar events like Kafka Summit, Spark + AI Summit, and Flink Forward.

## Recent PMC changes

 - Currently 27 PMC members.
 - Immediately after graduation, on Dec 20 2019, we added the following
   committers to the PMC: Benedict Jin, Clint Wylie, Dylan Wylie, Fokko
   Driesprong, Furkan Kamaci, Mingming Qiu, Niketh Sabbineni, Surekha
   Saharan, and Vadim Ogievetsky.

## Recent committer changes

 - Currently 34 committers.
 - New commmitters since graduation (Dec 20 2019):
    - Samarth Jain (Jan 2 2020)
    - Alexander Saydakov (Jan 7 2020)

## Recent releases

 - 0.16.1-incubating was released on Dec 10 2019

## Development activity by the numbers

In the last 3 months:

 - 196 pull requests opened
 - 190 pull requests merged/closed