I am generally agree with creating a new branch for incompatible changes.

1. But the naming of the branch looks inconsistent to me:

* develop: 2.7.x
* master: 2.6.x
* 2.5.x: 2.5.x

What about next major version, is there a branch called 2.8.x or 3.0.x?

2. should every pull request sent against 2.7.x and be back ported to 2.6.x?

--
Best Regards!
Huxing