Agreed on all points regarding the zip.

Since you offered, I updated the scripts to require it and the sha512 noted
below :-)
The verification includes verifying the tar.gz and zip contents are the same.

On another topic, [1] says the suffix MUST be sha512 for a SHA 512 sum (which
in fact is what the file contains)
    apache-edgent-1.2.0-incubating-source-release.tar.gz.sha1

So that needs be changed in the staging area in addition to staging the zip and
its sums/sig.

Thanks!
— Dale

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums