Hi all,

this is my first post on the Apache Edgent mailing list and first, let me say,
that I’m quite impressed by all that has been done with regards to IoT and Edge
Processing in this project.
As I observe the project for a long time now and we start to see many use cases
with our customers we decided to get deeper in touch with the community.

When reasoning about the architecture of a new system for our new costumers
including a lot of “IoT” communication we obviously came by apache edgent.
Can you say, what in your opinion the unique selling point of edgent is?
Is the focus on the interaction with Cloud Based IoT Services or do you see the
low footprint stream processing also as one advantage of edgent?
I tried to get a really good overview over the remote control capabilities and
the MXBean integration, but I think I’m not at it, yet.

We looked at different stream processing platforms like Flink, Spark (which are
everything except low footprint) but also Akka streams which seems to fit very
well with “low footprint”.
So do you see Akka streams as an alternative to Edgent when one only uses a
“Simple” Topology with a DirectProvider and no integration to Remote Services
or Control and Command Servers or anything?

I would love to hear your opinion on that!

Best
Julian

pragmatic minds GmbH