Again, more info:

   One of the Incubator's roles is to ensure that proper attention is
   paid to intellectual property. From time to time, an external
   codebase is brought into the ASF that is not a separate incubating
   project <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/> but still represents
   a substantial contribution that was not developed within the ASF's
   source control system and on our public mailing lists. This is a
   short form of the Incubation checklist, designed to allow code to be
   imported with alacrity while still providing for oversight.

And:

   The receiving PMC is responsible for doing the work. The Incubator
   is simply the repository of the needed information. Once a PMC
   directly checks-in a filled-out short form, the Incubator PMC will
   need to approve the paper work after which point the receiving PMC
   is free to import the code. *Note* that only lazy concensus is
   required. The IP clearance template
   <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html>
   contains more details of this process.

This is from: