In the trunk we have modified the framework so that it no longer tries to log to an available LogService for the time being, so this issue should be gone. When we have the time, we will try to reinstate the feature if we can find a suitable workaround.

-> richard

Tim Moloney wrote:
Thanks for the pointer.

It does appear to be the same problem as discussed here (http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@felix.apache.org/msg03142.html). The workaround of setting felix.log.level 3 (INFO) gets things working more reliably.

In the message thread, Niclas Hedhman wondered if there are any other log services that experience this problem. org.apache.felix.log appears to.

Tim

Richard S. Hall wrote:
I would guess this is related to a deadlocking issue that was discussed previously.

The issue is that Felix uses the external log service (if present) to log events and sometimes this can lead to deadlocks, apparently. Of course, this is just a guess on my part. I think there was a workaround...you can check the archives...or perhaps someone else can respond.

This issue will likely need further investigation.

-> richard

Tim Moloney wrote:
I run Felix in Eclipse with a custom config.properties file that autostarts a few bundles. If I include both org.apache.felix.log and org.apache.felix.eventadmin in felix.auto.start.1, Felix hangs. If I remove either org.apache.felix.log or org.apache.felix.eventadmin or both, everything works fine.

I've attached an example project that has an Activator class that simply prints when its bundle is started and stopped. If I autostart both org.apache.felix.log and org.apache.felix.eventadmin, the example bundle doesn't print its start message and the shell bundle doesn't display prompts when hitting <enter>. Again, i f I remove either org.apache.felix.log or org.apache.felix.eventadmin or both, everything works fine.

If I run from the command line, it will work most of the time, however, it will occasionally fail in the same way. It appears to be the same problem but somehow running Felix inside Eclipse exacerbates the problem.

The attached project includes a README file that describes *exactly* how to demonstrate the problem.

Can anyone provide some suggestions to help me get this amazingly simple task working properly?

Thanks,
 Tim