Hi there,

I'm currently looking into how to set up a launch configuration for
Sigil development in the IDE and one idea that seems quite attractive
is to reuse the Karaf features format to list the bundles that the
user wishes to install in the framework. The use case I'm looking to
solve is initial boot of an OSGi framework from the IDE with a pre
configured set of bundles. Once the framework is running it will be
possible to install and uninstall individual bundles via the IDE to
allow for update of classes during debug. But this initial step allows
us to boot a framework into a known state.

Some areas that I'm a little hazy about...

* Editor support for features files - is there any available plugins
for Eclipse in this area?
* Extensions to the karaf format to support sigil projects (ivy dependencies?)
* Support for Karaf features from a remote process - how tied is the
org/apache/felix/karaf/features/*.java code to a local framework? I
think it makes sense drive this from an external process vs installing
Karaf in the framework as this would allow us to debug Karaf. This
would involve having a Karaf driver in the IDE that understands the
Karaf features file format and uses it to make install and start
commands into the external framework process.

The other idea that sprang to mind was the pax runner profile format.
Can anyone comment on the relative pros and cons of each format?

Regards,

Dave