I routinely separate API from IPML period;

An API is strictly package based;

An IMPL is strictly service based;

When the API is broken ('er not backwards compatible), I bump the major number;

Thusly, the IMPL version numbering follows suit;

I've never had a problem with bnd or unit testing or run time wiring following
this simple practice; I can get away with simple junit/jmock/hamcrest-matchers
for just about anything/everything;

And I don't even need any maven at all, period, for anything; I have never been
in any situation where I've ever felt I would need a maven;

Reminder: once a bundle is built, it NEVER has to be rebuilt, EVER; Once built,
it's dependencies are STRICTLY run time; Simply put, if you do not have a
guarantee for api breakage (you don't have a design-by-contract API), then you
wire to a specific version only;  By standard practice, my contract API is
simply "bump the major number if you break the API";

Now if only OSGi supported versioning of services... but you can simply put the
major number in your service name;

As for repositories... deep breath... maven has F'd this simple concept up
too...  All you need is to browse the APIs and their contract specification;
Then you pull down the API bundle and the impl bundle(s) depending on what
features they provide;

And, if an API changes, you MUST bring a human in the loop; You do NOT
routinely just bring some latest component down and rerun some test and think
you're done; That is SO WRONG on every level;

TGIF