Hi all,

At ApacheCon -- IIRC it was during the OSGi Meetup -- a question was
raised whether configuration modifications are in any way audited and
whether a fall back to a previous version is at all possible.

Of course, the Configuration Admin specification does not foresee such
functionality. I could even argue that this happens by intent leaving
such administrative functionality up to the actual implementations.

Carsten Ziegeler and me further discussed options off-line and came to
the following options:

(1) The Configuration Admin implementation could maintain these
configuration generations internally and also record the date/time of
changes. This would probably require to add an API to access these
generations and optionally to revert the current configuration to a
previous state.

(2) But, actually, the problem does not end with configurations: What
about bundles ? But if we start to record Bundle (and Framework) state
changes, the most obvious solution would be to have a separate audit
bundle recording configuration and bundle state changes. This bundle
could in fact also record the configuration generations but obviously
not the actual bundle generations because this data is not readily and
easily available.

WDYT ?

Would such a functionality be worth implementing (as part of Apache
Felix) ?

Would you think option #1 (Configuration Admin extension, ignoring
bundles) or #2 (Separate bundle supporting both Configuration and Bundle
states; but only configuration generations) superior ?

Thanks and Regards
Felix