Hi

I would like to finalize version 3 of our parent POM.

In Rev. 1330389 I implemented FELIX-3486 as follows by defining properties for
Java class file compliance and Java API use checking.

I have set the defaults to..

   * Java 1.3 for class file compliance
   * Java 1.3 API compatibility

The goal is to create bundles, which are usable by the least requirements. I
think we should stick to that goal, even though it is ever harder to attain ...

Particularly, I am not sure any more about the Java API compatibility: Wouldn't
it be better to use Java 1.4 as the default base line ?

Second, for Java 5 support we basically have two options:

  * creating Java 5 class files not usable on pre-Java 5 VMs
  * creating Java 4 class files not usable on Java 7 and later VMs

Me thinks, that we should have a guideline, that if a project uses Java 5
language features (Generics, for-loops, autoboxing), the default build should
target Java 5 where custom builds can still set the felix.build.target to jsr14.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix