Hi all,

Earlier this year, Apache Infrastructure announced to switch off rsync support
for Web Site management. On January, 1st, 2013, this will no actually happen.

We are a bit late in the game, so I started as follows:

  * I created FELIX-3816 to track the migration
  * I created INFRA-5648 to ask for staging creation

I will now export the existing Confluence content into SVN and start converting
the pages. This will be an iterative process being mostly automatic. Since not
everything can easily be converted, we will still have to cross check the pages
and do some fine-tuning.

What does this change mean at the end ?

(1) We will get immediate site updates: Whenever we change one or more pages
and publish, the change will almost immediately be seen on the web. There is no
multi-hour delay and incertainty any longer
(2) As a markup language "markdown" has been chosen. See [1] for links to the
respective documentation.
(3) We have more freedom in how we "build" our site. The initial look of the
new site will be the same as the current site. But we may change this easily
later on.

When switching I think we should start with a double site: The new site
available directly through the URL at http://felix.apache.org and the old site
still available at http://felix.apache.org/site. This has nice advantage, that
links from the web still work and we can crosscheck the new pages against the
old ones easily. Over time we will remove the old pages but add (static)
redirects to still support the old URLs but redirected to the new pages.

I think the first steps (export, conversion) will be a task for the lonesome
cowboy. Afterwards, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Felix

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3816