On 28/02/13 19:08, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
On 28 Feb 2013, at 17:55, Ferry Huberts wrote:
On 28/02/13 18:29, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
On 28 Feb 2013, at 17:04, Sahoo wrote:

On Thursday 28 February 2013 10:18 PM, Stuart McCulloch wrote:
Except that having OSGi packaging supported in Maven
out-of-the-box could be worth any short-term confusion,
I don't understand this limitation. Why is it that an
extension that supports bundle project type be generated from
Maven project for maven to know about the extension by default?
Surely it's a matter of them referencing our extension in some
classpath configuration somewhere.

It's up to the Maven team to decide on their default packaging
types. While there's no technical reason they couldn't refer to
extensions not under their control I'm not sure it will happen
any time soon. I should point out that contributing the plugin
doesn't mean it would automatically get added as a default
packaging type, but it would improve the odds - and development
of the plugin might benefit from being more aligned with the
Maven team.

How would it improve the odds? You'd just shift the dependency on
external code from the plugin to bnd. And I seriously doubt that
Peter would be willing to donate bnd to the Maven team.

I'm not stopping anyone from asking the Maven team to add 'bundle' as
a default packaging type, but I also doubt they would add a plugin
that they neither develop or maintain.

Having a dependency from a core plugin to an external
(Apache-licensed) library is likely to be less of an issue,
especially since Maven itself relies on various external libraries.

To clarify, I was just being curious, no intention of being critical (since I'm actually in favor of what you propose)

That said it sounds like people have strong opinions about any change
of plugin coordinates, so I'm just going to leave it for now.

PS. if anyone would like to help triage the maven-bundle-plugin
issues on JIRA and either propose patches or review/test
existing patches, let me know.

Thanks, Sahoo

-- Ferry Huberts

--