Hi,

:

> On 15/08/14 14:58, Bob Paulin wrote:
> > I noticed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3511 Java
> > Concurrency is being introduced to the code base.  A couple of
> > thoughts on this.
> >
> > 1) With this not being backwards compatible with earlier versions
> > does it make sense to increment at least the minor version (ie 1.3
> > -> 1.4). Java 8 introduces a slew of incompatibility with prior
> > releases with the changes to the collection libraries so I'm
> > curious how other projects are handling this.
>
> As I understand the issue, it talks about going from Java 5 to Java 6
> as required version, but yes, strictly speaking this would mean a
> minor bump at least. We should be more strict on this, I agree (made
> the same mistake in the Felix HTTP project as well).

Actually, as far as I remember the idea was that the version number
reflects the specification version it implements - but this might not
really make sense, so bumping the minor version is a good thing.

> > 2) Event admin has no tests.  I would be interested in working on
> > creating some tests for this project.  Any thoughts on where to
> > begin with this effort?
>
> I think the current implementation is written (and maintained) by
> people that have access to the OSGi TCK, so they can tests the
> implementation against the specification, which might explain the lack
> of unit and integration tests.

Yepp, the implementation passes the OSGi TCK which I believe tests a lot of
aspects already.

> But to get started: just start writing unit tests against the code in
> trunk and provide them as patches. It is always good to have tests
> written by somebody else, as they most often have new/fresh insights
> in the use cases...

Absolutely, we also have some additional tests in the whiteboard area for
event admin. It's basically a stress test.

> > 3) It appears there maybe other areas of the event admin code that
> > might benefit from the Concurrency objects.  Perhaps the use of one
> > of the Queue constructs for holding some of the asynchronous
> > events.  Thoughts on this?
>
> As long as it has positive effect on the performance, I think nobody
> will complaint about this, if you're willing to provide patches ;)
>
> Right :) This has all been written initially on Java 1.4 so there might be
areas which can be improved.
However, a nicer implementation is one thing, the other one is performance.
The goal should be to have a minimum on synchronization between threads to
get the best performance. I'm not saying the current implementation is
perfect though :)

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler