Am 16.11.15 um 07:14 schrieb David Bosschaert:
> Hi all,
>
> Every time I do a release in the Felix community I am thinking:
> there's too many manual steps involved here, some of which seem to be
> unnecessary as they seem duplicative. I'm wondering whether all these
> steps are necessary? Especially since other Apache communities are not
> performing all of them...

And even worse, sometimes people simply forget some of the steps...

> Here's what I always do (I hope I didn't forget anything...)
>
> Preparing the release:
> 1. Some components have a changelog.txt that needs to be updated. This
> information generally is directly copied&pasted from JIRA.

I never understood why we provide this and maintain it by hand. But only
some projects do this.

> 2. Release is prepared, tagged and staged in Apache Nexus.
> 3. Release vote email is sent out.
Would be great if sending the mail could be automated. I guess it would
be easy to do so as part of the maven release process.

> After the vote has succeeded:
> 4. Vote conclusion email is sent out
> 5. Release is published in Maven Nexus
> 6. Release artifacts are copied into dist SVN
While this is an extra step, we need the artifacts at Apache. With the
check script we have it's simple to do. But I agree it's annoying.

> 7. Jira is updated, component version marked as released
> 8. Website News section is updated
> 9. Website Download section is updated (I still find this very awkward
> to do as I still haven't found out how to do this from the CMS browser
> editor)

> 10. Release is registered at https://reporter.apache.org/addrelease.html?felix
Never heard of this one :)

> While some steps are obviously required some of them don't seem to add
> a lot of value.
> * Step 1 - changelog.txt. This info is direcly from JIRA, so whats the
> extra value? People can just look it up in JIRA!
> * Step 6 - the artifacts are already in Apache Maven
> (https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/felix/),
> so why do they need to be copied to another location (dist) too?
> * Step 8 - while it seems useful to have some sort of a news section
> on the website, the current one simply lists released versions without
> any interesting details so I don't think it provides any value to
> users.
I kind of agree. On the other hand, if we don't do this, we have no news
at all (which is sad). We could add a link to the changelog for each
release :) (the one in Jira of course)

> * Step 9 - the downloads page can be made to point to the Maven Repo
> which will mean that it does not need to be manually updated any
> more...
Nope, all official releases must come from Apache.

> * Step 10 - this info is available in JIRA, it should not be necessary
> to describe the component release again...
This is not a required step and we can definitely skip it.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland