Hi all,

Last July I opened an issue [1] regarding SCR's behaviour with respect to
tracking services and how it prevents the use of 'Providing service on demand
pattern' [2]. I also provided a patch that enables this pattern to be used in
combination with Felix SCR.

There has been an exchange of comments on the issue, with respect to it still
supporting the original use-case of the current approach to service tracking
and whether or not the proposed change could possibly negatively affect the
performance of SCR.
To my understanding the patch submitted still supports the original use-case.
On the performance aspect, there is indeed the overhead of additional trackers
in case you reference the same service multiple times, but I think there is
also merit in simplifying the logic within SCR itself, by more relying on
framework events, rather than doing target matching within SCR itself.

I would like to see if we can get a conclusion for this issue. Of course my
preference would be to get the proposed changes merged into Felix SCR, but if
the concerns remain I would like to see what can be done to mitigate these.

Best regards,

Arnoud Glimmerveen.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-6161
[2]
https://osgi.org/specification/osgi.core/7.0.0/framework.servicehooks.html#d0e45721

Disclaimer:

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender
and
delete it.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of this email or its
attachment(s) is forbidden.
Thales Nederland BV will not accept liability for any damage caused by this
email or
its attachment(s).
Thales Nederland BV is seated in Hengelo and is registered at the Chamber of
Commerce under number 06061578.