Hello community,

We had a productive and active 2017 GSOC with participation of 12 students
through the Mifos Initiative and 3 students through Apache Fineract. I will
soon be posting to the MIfos blog our official recap blog posts so stay
tuned.

This was our largest group of interns we've engaged with so we wanted to
document what worked well and what didn't work well and how we could
improve going forward in a retrospective session amongst our mentors.

We had a good retrospective today and i've included the action items. If
you are a mentor and haven't contributed to the notes document (which I
can't share publicly since it includes discussion and feedback about
specific students and projects), let me know and I will provide access.

Here are a list of action items we're taking from the meeting to help us
improve going forward:

*Action Items:*

   -

   Schedule a call within a month to check in on projects and discuss
   status of merging of pull requests.
   -

   Send calendar-invite for mid-November to begin discussing projects so we
   start this process earlier on and can have better clarity around ideas and
   concrete user stories and tasks.
   -

   Pranjal to draft documentation on pull request process and guidelines to
   set expectations for timelines, standards for code quality, process and
   protocols for submission, and where to comment and have dialogue
   -

   Get Repository in place per Rajan’s suggestion for wireframes/mockups so
   students, volunteers, partners can contribute to this before GSOC coding
   period.
   -

   Create one unified template for project proposal based on best practices
   of previous submissions
   -

   Create one unified template for project final report based on best
   practices of students.
   -

   Send feedback on how we improve our evaluation process given the
   increased interest in our projects
   -

   Set up a code review team consisting of Apache Fineract PMC members to
   alleviate review burden on Nazeer for platform-side changes
   -

   Invite students and mentors who have been active in Apache Fineract
   community as committers to Apache.

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative