Hi Maha -

I've been spending some time thinking about this for some business areas
adjacent to financial inclusion.

In financial inclusion, and financial services in general, there are of
course, many areas where some ML or even basic analysis would do a
wonderful job.

For Mifos I believe a key thing that is needed is the ability to extract
data in meaningful structures (flattened in appropriate ways) and within a
reasonable taxonomy of credit, accounting, and consumer terms.  Perhaps
that means making data more easily discoverable via APIs.  I also suspect
that permission and rights management to data - with screens for privacy
(or anonymizing) are needed.

Related, one concept I've come across is the ability for third parties to
get the "results" of machine learning models without actually getting
access to the data and to apply that in a kind of federated data approach -
where the models are trained up and then "call home" with the results.
This would imply that it is important for the data access APIs to be
structured consistently and with backwards compatibility.

For ML to work there needs to be some other "big" data sets related
together.  You may be interested in a recent world bank conference where a
bunch of new ML applications were introduced:
https://blogs.worldbank.org/developmenttalk/artificial-intelligence-economic-development-conference-roundup-27-presentations

Happy to get on a call at some point.

Thanks,
James