Hi all

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, Travis builds have recently been getting more and
more unreliable: either there is a queue of several hours before the build is
executed, or in many cases no build is triggered at all. This seems to be due
to the limits on Apache’s Travis account. I asked about this in the Apache
Infra JIRA, and the answer was as follows:

"Our Travis CI capacity is very limited and we will not be increasing that
limit in the foreseeable future. If you are not happy with it, we suggest you
switch to GitHub Actions or our Jenkins/BuildBot CI instead.”

Given this, I think it would make sense for us to explore alternatives.To try
this out, I’ve created a CI build pipeline using Github Actions and raised a PR
for it (https://github.com/apache/fineract/pull/1955
<https://github.com/apache/fineract/pull/1955>). This is a “parallel” pipeline
- in that I haven’t removed the Travis one. So once this PR is merged, we
should get both a Github build as well as a Travis build for each PR.

My suggestion would be to merge this and see how the two compare for the next
week or so. If Github is more reliable / faster, then we could switch off the
Travis one altogether.

The only caveat is: I have not been able to test this very comprehensively, as
the actions do not run unless the PR is merged. They seem to work OK in my own
repository, but I can’t guarantee they will immediately work in the Apache
repo. So there may be some false failures initially until we get this build
working without issues. However, despite the possible “noise” from these
failures, I think this would be a worthwhile exercise.

Any concerns? If not, I can merge the actions in tomorrow and then address any
issues to get them working asap.

Regards
Petri