Maxim -

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It deserves more discussion.

I've provided context here on list and suggested an approach (which has not
been objected to) -->
https://lists.apache.org/thread/1g8fhlbono3skvf3mb1m4ccormrh1rx8

We don't have anyone stepping forward (*yet*) to be a GSOC mentor at APACHE
FINERACT.  We do not have any GSOC tasks in our JIRA for 2023.  We are not
currently accepting GSOC volunteers unless/until we have identified tasks
and fineract mentors.

Mifos has proposed working on Fineract in their GSOC application, but I've
tried to make it clear that we *cannot have an expectation that Fineract
volunteers will help bring the code onto the platform unless we have such
volunteers*, and that such volunteers are well versed in our quality
checks, testing requirements, code standards, etc. Adding to our code debt
is simply not an option, and solving our code debt and literally hundreds
of open tickets is usually well beyond the scope of a GSOC volunteer or
mentor.

So, that argues for bringing the GSOC projects into an "experimental
branch" and/or for such tasks as:  better diagnosis of existing tickets,
testing scripts, comprehensive manual testing, documentation, api tooling,
other tasks that avoid adding to the "spaghetti" at the core.  This is not
"flashy" work but rather the necessary work in a project of this
complexity/maturity.

Longer term of course we need to have a better engagement approach, and I'm
curious how other projects at our stage deal with this.

James Dailey
PMC Chair