Thanks, @ctubbsii !

Interesting.  I can imagine how to extend functionality to get this sorted
out via whatever parses the `.asf.yaml` -- but I could dig into that in
more detail.  *If you have a link handy, do share*.  Otherwise, I can
search around.

 This leads me to wonder whether I can mimic the functionality that I get
from subscribing to things via GH, and turn off notifications via GH and
rely on what is piped through the list settings configured in `.asf.yaml`.
For that to work, I would seek additional functionality described in the
following.

Desired functionality:  If I respond to the email it does not appear that
those responses go back to GH and only are sent to the list.  `Is that
something we can imagine supporting in the future, or was it ruled out as
part of the design?  Would that just be a matter of someone contributing
the code to do the thing, or since it involves infra needing to feel
comfortable running/supporting would be a much more involved process [ I'm
not sure how infra works, but I suspect somewhat difference in governance
].