> I think I understand you, but if you read the whitepaper again, no changes
> to AS3 are mentioned.  Instead, there is mention of language development
> for
> web-based virtual machines.
>
> So, while your concerns are valid, I think Apache Flex should plow ahead in
> whatever direction it wants to go and only worry about compiler/language
> forking if it actually happens.  Hopefully, Gordon and/or I will be able to
> provide early warning.
>
> Also, I could be wrong, but I think everything proposed so far can be
> handled as a pre-processor phase (not that we'd actually do it that way) so
> it wouldn't be impossible to provide a shim for the ASC2.0.

Hey Alex,

yea, I think you got my drift :) I also didn't mean this discussion to
result into
immediate action. I was just wondering about some of the implications.
Imagine the case where we add language features and folks try to compile
these
using ASC2.0, they would get errors naturally. I'm guessing these folks
would be
confused by this, since they are under the impression that they're coding in
AS3, and ASC2.0 is an AS3 compiler. (Says so on the box :))

Like I say, I have no idea what the exact action should be, I'm only
pointing out
that this situation might arise, and I'm wondering how it should be dealt
with.

Hence the suggestion of a name change, but that was merely one way of
handling this.

cheers,

Roland