> Your link says "Merge is perfectly fine for managing your code." The
> only drawback it mentions is a more cluttered log. It has far stronger
> warnings about misusing rebase.
>
> How could anyone read this conclusion
>

>  1.  Merge works great, but creates lots of empty merge commits when
> you are working on a team.
>  2.  Rebase keeps things tidy, but is destructive and potentially
> dangerous if you donĀ¹t know what you are doing.
>
> and not conclude that merge is better for non-experts?

Gordon,

So, that is effectively what Fred and I were discussing before. I do personally
think a merge workflow is easier for beginners. Fred was pointing out the
history becoming difficult to follow and also that in the merge scenario the
new developer is responsible for committing the combination of the files they
worked on plus the merge back to the repo. If they didn't do this it would be
as though they had intentionally excluded the code that was in place before. He
is right about both of those things.

I was simply suggesting that, perhaps, to get everyone started we acknowledge
both of those issues and deal with a period of messier logs until everyone is
comfortable with the basics, then evolve an approach later that might be better
for a more advanced set of users. The really big educational point is just to
ensure you commit all of the changes after a merge.

Mike