Erik,

sorry for the inconvenience, but GIT is just about not have to wait. Your
mind are still in SVN and still  does not switch to GIT.

We at work are always merging and resolving conflicts in integration
branches. We never merge directly in develop. For this kind of brutal
changes you should:

1.- start an integration branch
2.- make merges in that brach (and maintain it over time what could be
cumbersome as time and divergences happen)
3.- test that all is ok
4.- merge back into develop

Erik, I know you are not yet a fan of GIT but think that the way that I'm
propossing to you could never be done in SVN and most important, you don't
stop other people works.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología