thanks for the link - i missed that bit of news

(and you're right - my 4.9 install has 3.5 overlaid)

On 16/05/2013 18:43, Dasa Paddock wrote:
Are you sure your 4.9.0 SDK is using AIR 3.7?

From:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WSfffb011ac560372f-5d0f4f25128cc9cd0cb-7ffb.html

(AIR 3.7 and higher) By default, ADT packages a captive copy of the AIR runtime
with your Android app and your application uses this captive version of AIR
exclusively. The user does not need a separate AIR runtime installed.

Note: To force ADT to create an APK that uses an external runtime, set the
AIR_ANDROID_SHARED_RUNTIME environment variable to true.
--Dasa