On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Erik de Bruin <e...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Well, I figured that if we have structural parity between the two
> frameworks, several things will happen:
>
> - type checking becomes consistent: as soon as there is a different
> inheritance/implementation chain on the JS side, things go
> pear-shaped: how about 'myClass is Sprite'?

+1
On the JS side, it should not cost us anything to have this kind of class
inheritance hierarchy parity, right?  Are we worried about performance in
case of too much prototype chaining [1]?

> - the frameworks will become easier to develop and maintain: build it
> on the AS side, and start the work on the JS side by copying the class
> structure. Or better yet, run the AS through the compiler and start
> with the JS output, that way you should be able to start with a
> reasonable functional JS class ;-) This is really cool, by the way. I
> put the entire AS framework through the compiler the other day and was
> amazed at how clean and nearly usable the JS output was... it got me
> thinking if we wouldn't want to just do the AS side (FlexJS style) and
> then see what's missing on the JS side (mostly flash.* classes,
> apparently). But that's for another time ;-)

Big +1 for this idea.  If there is any chance I get to not write JavaScript
directly, I want to make full use of it.  Any chance you can publish your
process for doing this?  As an overly simple example, if I write a Chart
component in AS, it would be so much easier if I go and replace the AS
'graphics' object to a JS 'canvas' or 'd3' object.  Most other stuff should
(hopefully) remain the same.

> The other way around (only do what's really needed on either side)
> will get messy and obscure pretty soon, especially with the lack of a
> good code discovery/completion tool on the JS side. I got confused by
> the structural differences between the frameworks as it is right now,
> and we're only getting started...
>
> EdB

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Guide/Inheritance_and_the_prototype_chain