> the main thrust of the language was a totally new language geared for
> functional programming, and then some backward compatibility stuff to make it
> seem more like ActionScript.

I wouldn't characterize it that way. To me it felt like incremental change to
AS3. There were still classes and interfaces so I'm not sure what you mean by
"geared for functional programming"; to me it was still definitely an
object-oriented language. It did add "strong function types"'; for example

var f:(int, int)=>String;

declared a variable that could only contain a reference to a function that took
two ints and returned a String. It also added array types like

var a:[]int;

- Gordon