Hi all,

I've submitted the software grant. The repo and branch are here
<https://github.com/monkeypunch3/Radii8/tree/ApacheFlexBranch> and the tag
is ApacheFlexRelease1.0.

FYI Things I've learned from donating a project to Apache:

• It can be a long and arduous process. It really takes a lot more effort
than it appears. Don't underestimate the work Alex has done to get
donations in.
• If you use example code or class off a website make sure it has a MIT or
Apache 2.0 license. You can contact the author and request they add an
Apache license header if not.
• If you use a class or library that is hosted somewhere on the web make
sure it is linked or referenced in separately from your main project and
make sure it has a MIT or Apache 2.0 license or contact the author. Do not
copy the class into your library
• Document your code and classes as much as you can and if you don't then
document your intentions whether it is fully working or not (IE, "This
class is meant to parse XML files for the layout engine", etc)
• Before submitting to Apache you have to send in ICLA signed form and if
more than a few files a signed software grant form to Apache secretary.
• You can donate skins, components, utils and patches now very easily by
adding them as an attachment to a new Jira issue
• Before donating announce to the list your project or util and see if
there is interest and even if there is interest if it is a project that the
PMC members find to be a good fit. Since all projects require maintenance
they must decide if they would be willing to maintain it as well. If so
they will take a vote on the list to proceed
• Donating is more than just open sourcing a project. You can open source a
project just by putting it on your site or github with an open source
license.
• Any donation must undergo an IP clearance review. To quote Alex,

"There's lots of legal details we need to document before the code hits an
Apache repo.  First, it is important to establish ownership of every line
of code.  It actually matters if someone helped you write the code, or if
you wrote it while an employee of some other company or for a corporation,
or you grabbed code from somewhere else on the web.  Then, code written by
someone else needs to be either removed and downloaded as part of the
build, or bundled with the donation but as 3rd party code, or you get that
person's permission to donate.

 For all other code that isn't 3rd party, that code needs to be licensed
under the Apache license. [MIT is a compatible license as well.]"

I hope this helps you organize and prepare for any donations you may be
considering in the future. Alex helped me a lot through this process and we
are close to being done.