On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The cool thing is that I am currently able to build a FlexJS application
> on a machine without any Falcon, FalconJX, ASJS, or even a FDK installed.
> No need to download any libraries, setup environment variables or
> whatsoever. If the Maven artifacts were publicly available, all you would
> need to do is run "mvn install". Think this will make things a lot easier
> for people wanting to experiment on FlexJS.
>
> That IS very cool!
>
> One of these days, I’m going to have to figure out what Maven is… :-p

Replying here, so that it benefits everyone who has this question.

Maven makes building your app easy.  If you have Maven installed on your
machine, all you have to do is run 'mvn install' from the command line and
your app gets built.  You just need to have a pom.xml in your project
directory.  POM stands for 'Project Object Model' where you specify the
build params, which plugins to use and which dependencies to download
before attempting to build the app.

Normally, Maven is used to build Java applications, but it supports a
plugin architecture so other technologies (like Flex) can use it as well.
Chris has created a plugin (much like the FlexMojos plugin) and has created
a mavenized version of Apache Flex SDK (usually called artifacts)  He has
also worked in Adobe's licensing requirements so that users can accept the
license terms for the Flash Player Global and AIR SDK.

How does Maven know where to download these artifacts from?  You upload it
either to a public maven repository (usually http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
or to your own private installation of a maven repo.  You specify the url
in your local pom.xml file.  Chris plans to upload the mavenized form
Apache Flex SDK to this server so anyone can use it.  Which means, no need
for the end user to download the Installer and set things up.

When you run 'mvn install' for the first time, maven locates the required
artifacts from the given server using the unique artifact id and downloads
it to a local cache. After that, it will use the cached version of the
artifact until you change it in your pom.xml file.

With this release, the barriers to create Flex and FlexJS applications will
be reduced further.  Some IDEs (ex. IntelliJ) support Maven out of the
box.  So, with this release, we will most likely get IntelliJ support for
FlexJS for free.

I have simplified things a bit to keep the explanation short.  Please feel
free to ask questions or correct me :-)

Thanks,
Om