On 11/26/14, 2:57 AM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Nowhere in the bylaws (that I can find) does it say that spelling
>> issues in documentation are release blockers.
>
>!00% correct and I'm against it.
>
>> If someone said they should be, that would be an opinion.
>
>Also correct , but:
>a) With the new no RC process, (which IMO basically require consensus to
>release) that means you can't even call a vote if someone objects to the
>current nightly.

The new “no RC” process doesn’t require consensus, that would mean
overriding an Apache policy. It just means that it is probably not wise to
call a vote until you are sure you have enough votes.  If the discuss
thread indicates that one person is -1 and 3 others are +1, that’s good
enough.

>b) With the minimal number of people who vote usually means a single -1
>is usually enough to stop anything, even if that is for trivial reasons.
>c) A single -1 vote also usually stops a release as no one else tends to
>vote once that happens.

This is unfortunately true, and we still haven’t figured out how to
attract more reviewers.  I have built ant scripts that automate the steps
to create an RC and other ant scripts that take you through the steps to
approve an RC in an attempt to make it easier for folks to do the review
and for the RM to respond to those reviews.  The scripts could use
improvement, but maybe reducing the overhead of participating in a release
will get more folks to join in.