On 1/8/15, 11:40 AM, "Nick Collins" <ndcoll...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On that note, Alex, do you have any word you can share with us as to when,
>if ever, FB will be updated? It has been quite sometime since we have even
>seen a maintenance update for it.

The official Adobe document seems to be this [1], which includes the
following about Flash Builder:

"Development of Flash Builder continues. Adobe plans to maintain support
for Flex projects in updates to Flash Builder 4.x, including additional
work to ensure Apache Flex based SDKs can work within Flash Builder. Adobe
will evaluate integrating an Apache-derived Falcon MXML compiler into
Flash Builder if and when a suitable compiler is available from the
open-source project. In order to better support future Apache-derived Flex
SDKs, Design View, Data Centric Development tools, and Flash Catalyst
workflows will be removed in updated 4.x versions of Flash Builder."

FB is a completely different team.  My personal interpretation, which is
not an official Adobe interpretation in any way, is that the first
sentence referenced development of FB to support game development.  The
rest basically says the 4.x version of FB would be updated if it could be
shown that Apache Flex didn’t work.  Apache Flex already found one flaw
and Adobe made a patch available.  I think FB releases consume significant
resources so there’d have to be a significant business upside to cause
another FB 4.x release.  It is up to FB customers to try to enlighten
Adobe as to what that upside is.

What would folks want to see in another FB release? Just upgrading to
newer Eclipse/Java?

Open source-ing parts of FB is “possible” although I can tell you the code
I’ve seen isn’t my favorite, and having “all” of it donated is unlikely as
I’ve heard that there are some Adobe assets involved that Adobe wouldn’t
want to donate.

I’m told that non-Java language support in Eclipse is painful, but if
folks feel like Eclipse is a good IDE platform and Apache Flex needs to
support it and folks volunteer to work on it, I can look into seeing what
parts can be made available.  Personally I think the Apache Flex community
is pretty busy as is, although an open source-ing of FB might be better
directed to the Eclipse Foundation itself so that Apache Flex remains
IDE-agnostic.  Lots of folks seem to be using IntelliJ and FDT.

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/whitepapers/roadmap.html