On 1/14/15, 6:17 AM, "Alex Harui" <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:

>On 1/14/15, 4:46 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <e...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:
>
>>So, we need to make 'playerglobal.swc' Optional?
>
>Playerglobal is a ‘Build Tool’ and falls under different rules.  Let me
>look into whether the font libraries are part of the ‘Build Tool’ category
>or not.  I just realized it might be.

After thinking about it a bit more, it would be hard to argue that the
font jars are a 'build tool’.  It is probably true that from the
perspective of building a SWF, the font jars are only used by the compiler
and thus are part of its build tool, but we own the compiler and ship its
source and the jars are used by a compiler feature.

The AIR SDK is considered a build tool because we leverage the compiler
and debugger in it.  PlayerGlobal.swc (and airglobal.swc) are considered a
build tool because they describe the target runtime and no code from the
SWCs get linked into the final SWF.  The analogy is a ‘C’ compiler and
system libraries.

The Flex MXMLC compiler depends on Java compiler and its libraries.  Java
is considered a build tool.  IMO, the font jars don’t describe the target
runtime.  They are used to do file format conversions.  If they were truly
self-contained then maybe you could argue that they are a tool.

So, I think the best we can do is warn folks in the installer that if they
plan to use FlatSpark they should check the box for the font jars.  Or
make FlatSpark not require embedding.

We might end up removing the OFL license checkbox from the installer as
well so keep that in mind as you share your opinions.