I looked at the commit, and while I would expect it work for the scenario
in question, I’m worried it will break the main install.

The issue is that the RSLs are stamped with a date and time.  The main
install is going to run at a much later date and time.  It may be more of
a question of parsing off the date and time from the RSLs which is
potentially hard to do in Ant, or saving the date/time used in a
properties file, or having the RSL task in build.xml update the
flex-config and not the installer.xml

-Alex