The Kohler Generators app(found in the apache flex community showcase)
handles the statusbar size change perfectly.
I looked inside their .ipa and found that they had
<renderMode>gpu</renderMode>, along with using flex 4.14 and air 16.

I set the rendermode to gpu in my TabbedViewNavigatorApplication and now the
statusbar size change is handled slightly better,
with the app shrinking to accommodate the larger statusbar, and the bottom
content is no longer pushed off the screen.
Still, no resize event is triggered when this happens. When rotating the
phone, the app resizes to the full height(triggering a resize event) and
underlaps the enlarged statusbar, but this is acceptable until I can find
out the trick to making it work as good as the Kohler app.