Yep, that was it (the debugger projector). Because it worked well for
my regular source SDK, I assumed it was set correctly - but I had set
it correctly in env.properties, and, for some reason incorrectly in
the environment variables section.

After that I also got the 'cannot access local resource' error, and
then, after adding both basicLoader.swf and BasicTests.swf, the
basictests target passed.

Thank you for your help, Alex!

PS: isn't there a way to automate adding the test swfs to the / a
security trust file? I have a feeling it could save a lot of time for
the whole community.