FWIW, I did not figure out what was disabling the IME.

I did figure out how to get the IME working though. When the TextFlow gets
focus, I just added IME.enabled = true;

For the sake of completeness I’m documenting my observations of IME behavior:

IME works inline on all Windows browsers and in Chrome on Mac. On Mac Firefox
and Safari, it shows up in a dialog on the bottom of the screen. I have not
checked other browsers. It’s worthy of note that I had my issues on browsers
where IME is inline. I still have a suspicion that something changed in the
Flash plugin, but since things are working again, I’m happy leaving good enough
alone.