I'm sorry if this approach was discussed and discarded, but here it is
anyway:

1.  Create a new XML class type in actionscript
2.  Immediately convert it into an actionscript object using the
mx.rpc.xml.XMLDecoder class
3.  Provide the usual public apis to the XML class
4.  Internally, do all the actions on the actionscript object
5.  Implement XML.xml() or  XML.toString() to internally convert the
actionscript object into XML using the mx.rpc.xml.XMLEncoder class.

On the JS side, do the same, except use JXON?

Thanks,
Om