I have been able to make progress on this front.

I am able to install flexjs using this command on Windows and Mac:
npm cache clear
npm install http://bigosmallm.github.io/flexjs/npm/flexjs-0.5.0.tgz -g

On Windows, in Cygwin, when I run this:
asjsc
"C:\Users\omuppirala\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\flexjs\examples\native\USStatesMap\src\USStatesMap.as"

I am seeing the compilation go through properly with bin/js-debug and
bin/js-release folders created.  Although it is missing the index.html
file.  I am pretty sure I am missing some step somewhere.

With the same exact code, on Mac, when I run:
omuppirala$ asjsc
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/examples/native/USStatesMap/src/USStatesMap.as

mxmlc seems to run but I am getting this error:

/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml:83
unable to open
'/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/frameworks/{playerglobalHome}/11.1'.
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/flexjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml (line: 83)
      </library-path>

Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks,
Om