I had this happen today in an example I got from a JIRA bug[1] as the
test. In that example (see the paste.apache.org link in the bug) you'll
see there is only the 1 mxml file. I could not get this example to work:

The myCombo.dataProvider setter needed to get to the combo box model which
was not being created since there was no bead defined for it in the
default.css media query for JS.

When I followed the code down, failure of fetching the model made the
Language.as fail because one of the operands, which was supposed to be the
model, was null.

Its probably not your model, but it must be something else that's not
initialized. Also, maybe try applicationComplete as the event? I am off on
a break for the rest of the week (US holiday this week), but I'll check
email periodically.

Good luck!

—peter

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-35169