Ah, that was the missing link.  I wasn't importing the dependency as a
library swc.  I think I got it now.

I went inside MDLExample > Module Settings > MDLExample > Dependencies >
Add Dependency (+ button) > New Library... >

Then, I selected the entire flex-asjs/frameworks/projects folder.  IntelliJ
brought in all FlexJS swcs and now I have code completion for all of FlexJS
:-)

As an aside, there is a setting in IntelliJ MDELExample > Module Settings >
MDLExample > General > Skip compilation (use build configuration for code
highlighting only)

This means that IntelliJ will not care if the actionscript project compiled
or not. It will simply use the dependencies to provide code highlight.  We
are compiling using maven which will catch any compilation errors.

Thanks,
Om