On 1/8/17, 10:25 PM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> The subject line says RC1.  IMO, we should be testing the CI build, not
>>RC1.
>
>As I stated I wasn’t testing RC1 I was testing the 4.16 release branch.

Actually, you stated you tested the 'develop' branch.  My point here is
that, maybe, if you take a few more seconds to proof-read before sending
you'll save the rest of us time.  Maybe a reason nobody else has provided
any feedback is because they are also unclear as to what they should be
testing.  Instead, 700 folks have to read extra emails between us trying
to straighten out what is going on.

>> The wiki [1] says that people are supposed to "test the artifacts
>>available on the CI server”.
>
>You missed the first bit, it’s “RM … calls on the community to test the
>artifacts available on the CI server”. The RM has presumably already
>tested this. Perhaps that could be clearer?

In what way?  The goal is to get others to test the same bits the RM has
tested to help ensure things didn't get missed before we start the vote.

>Current ASF policy is that you need to compile on your own machine. We
>can’t take what on a CI server and turn that into a RC. Perhaps you can
>try and get policy changed on the general incubator list. I know you’ve
>brought up this issue in the past but from what I remember there was no
>consensus for that change.

I don't know where it says that you have to compile the artifacts on your
own machine, but whether you create the artifacts from CI or from your own
machine, it is hopefully from the same code that produces the CI
artifacts, so the CI server is a place for folks to grab the source
artifacts and check them out.

Now that I have examined the source artifacts from CI, when you produce
the actual RC, one thing I will do is a diff of the RC against what I
grabbed from CI.