As I go through FlexJS, I am wondering if we need to continue the idea of
chrome. Chrome is not something built into HTML/CSS/JS, it is artificial.
We use it for the title bar and control bar in a Panel, but a Panel can be
composed of nesting Groups and applying the correct styles.

In Flex, scroll bars were chrome but they do not have that status in HTML.
In fact, just using overflow:auto will get scrollbars (when needed) on a
Group (aka <div>). To get scrollbars on the SWF side we do need to embed a
scrollable area within an area that will mask the overflowing bits and
provide interactive scroll bars.

In my mind, Container serves the purpose of allowing those apps that run
on SWF or SWF/JS platforms to have scrollable content. If you were to run
only on JS, then you don't need Container, you can just style the div
provided by Group. But we need to give SWF a hint which can be done by
using Container instead of Group when you suspect the content will need to
be scrolled. The CSS style for Container can have overflow:auto set and
otherwise extend Group for the JS side. The SWF side can nest
DisplayObjectContainers and put scrollbars into the outer container and
use it as a mask.

Panel can be composed of an outer Group, with a Group for the title bar, a
Container for the content, and another Group for the control bar. If
anyone really needs to have chrome pieces they can do the same thing.

What do you think? Should Container continue to support chrome (aka,
components implementing IChrome interface) or should it just be for
scrollable content?

Thanks,
Peter