Hi,

> My understanding is that CC-BY-SA is “strong copyleft” and not really
> compatible with Apache licensing. Is that right?

Not quite. Unmodified images and the like can be included [1]. Source code can
not be included [2]. There was a discussion about this on legal discuss a
little while ago where this was changed. [4]

> Does that mean we can not use even small code snippets from SO from before
> March 2016?

In general that’s correct.

Alternative you could contact the author and ask them to license the code under
another license.

> For code from after March 2016, where should attribution be put? Should a
> link be included in the code? A mention of the author in NOTICE? Should we
> include a link back to the SO post?

You must included the full MIT license somewhere (as per terms of the MIT
license) and it’s ASF policy it to add the MIT license or preferably a pointer
to the license in the LICENSE file [3], nothing would be added to NOTICE.
Including a link to SO may be helpful but links change over time.

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
3. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
4.