That's interesting, it does sound like it might continue to be 'available'
in terms of 'function' after 2020 for player versions since June this year,
but disabled by default and not 'supported'in the old Edge and in IE11.
That interpretation is actually 'better' than I had understood it to be in
the past (I assumed it would cease to function after 2020). But I am still
not 100% clear on that after reading this.

I think it would probably require a very specific question and response
from Microsoft (and/or Adobe) to clarify this. It would be great if
Microsoft and Adobe published some FAQs on this...