Yes, a "flink-contrib" project would be great.

We have two options:

1) Make it part of the flink apache project.
  - PRO this makes it easy to get stuff for users
  - CONTRA this means stronger requirements on the code, blocker for code
that uses dependencies under certain licenses, etc.

2) Make an independent github project.
 - PRO contributions can depended on more licenses, such as LGPL
 - PRO we can have more people that commit to this repo, committers can be
different from flink committers
 - CONTRA people need to grab the extensions from a different location

I am slightly biased towards (2), but open to both.

Stephan