I haven't seen conflicts in terms of who is merging a specific PR, yet.
I add a short comment in the PR before starting to merge, if I fear that
somebody else might pick up the same one.

What can happen though is that the master changed while preparing a merge.
In that case you simply need to rebase, build, test, and try again ;-)

As the commit activity on the master increases, some more coordination
might help.
IMO, the IRC channel would be a way to tell others about ongoing merge
activities.
But as you said, so far everything works quite well.