Hi,

Checkpoint barriers are handled directly on top of the network layer and
you are right they work similarly, by blocking input channels until it gets
the barrier from all of them.

A way of implementing this on the operator level would be by adding a way
to ask the inputreader the channel index of the last record. This way the
operator could keep track of the channels from which it has received
records and execute the watermark logic. The IndexedReaders have
implemented the necessarry funcionality but were patched away accidentally
buy some earlier changes (as they were not used anyway)

Adding a union operator is probably an overkill and would pose the same
difficulties when implementing it.

Cheers,
Gyula