> I think Sachin wants to provide something similar to the LossFunction but
> for the convergence criterion. This would mean that the user can specify a
> convergence calculator, for example to the optimization framework, which is
> used from within a iterateWithTermination call

@Till, yes. This is what I had in mind.

I think this is a good idea and it would be a nice addition to the
> optimization framework, to begin with. I think that with (data,
> previousModel, currentModel) one can already model a lot of different
> convergence criteria. @Sachin, do you want to take the lead?

Surely. I will create a WIP PR so we can decide on the exact interface.

However, I don’t think that a convergence criterion makes sense for the
> Predictor, because there are also algorithms which are non-iterative, e.g.
> some linear regression implementations. However, those which are, can take
> a convergence calculator as a parameter value.

Yes. This is why I was thinking of providing a convergence criteria as a
parameter, using a {{set}} function call on the predictor at the time user
creates a new one.
For non-iterative algorithms, I cannot think of any possible convergence
criteria as such that would be required. The solutions are almost always
closed-form in such cases. I may be wrong in saying that though.

Regards
​Sachin Goel​

-- Sachin Goel
Computer Science, IIT Delhi