Weird, the root cause seems to be "java.net.UnknownHostException:
ip-172-36-98: unknown error"

Flink does not do anything more special than
"InetAddress.getByName(hostname)".

Is it that you can either not resolve the hostname "ip-172-36-98" (maybe
add the fully qualified domain name), or is there another DNS lookup error
in the JVM setup?

If the default Java DNS provider has problems in that setup, you could try
to set another DNS provider...

Stephan